Last night Phil and I went to an adorable little French restuarant with some friends to celebrate her birthday. It was called Bistro Des Amis. The owner was this sweet French woman from the Basque region of France. It was fun to talk to her about that because I knew a man from the Spanish Basque region on my mission. Basque people have their own language that is so fascinating, I'm not sure where it originated, but it sounds nothing like Spanish or French or anything I've ever heard. During Franco's reign he didn't allow the Basque people to speak Basque, so needless to say, few people in the older generation speak it, this woman didn't. But she said that her grandchildren speak Basque and French. It's pretty much it's own little country. Fascinating!
Anyways...I had a delicious crepe with chicken and brie, and Phil had a pastry puff stuffed with scallops. Delicious! For dessert we had a fruit tart and that was also awesome. After dinner our waitress brought out four glasses of French champagne and said, "compliments of the owner." We told the waitress that we didn't drink and so she took them back. I felt bad turning down their hospitality, but what can you do? I guess we could have just drunk it:) We had so much fun hanging out with Olya and Forrest and their son Max. The restaurant was in a really fun part of town that has a very quaint feeling with little shops everywhere and people walking around. On the way home we passed a car that was the epitome of pimped out. I don't know what kind of car it was, but it was lifted, had rims, and had two, got that TWO, 22" tvs in the back seat playing rap videos. We tried to take a picture but it was so dark outside they didn't come out. Dinner at a French restaurant: $35, gas driving downtown:$10, seeing that car: priceless.
Also, just a little side note, we ate dinner outside in short sleeve shirts, five days before Christmas. I love Houston.
No comments:
Post a Comment