Sunday, August 23, 2009

Triathlon

I am so incredibly proud of Phil. He participated in his first triathlon on Saturday. We woke up at 4:30am on Saturday morning in order to make it down to the park by 6:00 for Phil to check in. He started out with a 750 meter swim in Clear Lake, then a 30K bike ride and finished off with a 5K run. Wow. That makes me tired just writing it down. He wasn't expecting to do very well, he hadn't trained at all, but he did such a great job. He took 11th out of his heat of 40. He came out of the water and I almost missed him because I wasn't expecting him for several more minutes. I had to run to get a picture of him. He was too fast! I couldn't believe how emotional I got over the whole thing. Whenever he finished a leg I had to fight back the tears, I was just so proud of him. When he crossed the finish line you never would have known he had just spent an hour and 39 minutes in sweltering heat performing crazy feats of strength. He looked fabulous. Afterwards there was a nice spread of food. What I found ironic was the 100's of boxes of pizza and piles of doughnuts for all of these super athletes who look like they haven't eaten a carb in years. But I sure enjoyed it.
Phil has even inspired me to participate in my own triathlon. I don't know when that will be, but I am definitely going to do one.
Out in the water waiting for the gun!
Still smiling.

Showing his enthusiasm

Finished!
She ate two slices of watermelon, seeds and all. Granted, much of it ended up on her shirt.


2 comments:

  1. Way to go Phil!!! Tess you should come out in April next year and do the women of steel triathlon with me. It is the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete