Initially, we weren't going to go to the courthouse to see them get married. They just wanted to go by themselves and then celebrate with everyone afterwards. Well, they went that morning to get married and found out that Atlanta only marries people once a week on Friday afternoons at a certain time. They put all of the couples in a court room and they all get married at the same time. Luckily, it was a Friday and they hadn't missed it. So they came back home to eat lunch and picked us up and took us back with them. They first had all of the couples go up and sign the marriage license and then the judge came in and called the couples up one by one and said the, "Do you take...." to each one. They would say, "I do." Then go and sit back down and the next couple went. I missed that part because Livi was finding running around the court room to be much more exciting than sitting in the jury box observing, so we stepped outside. It was a really neat experience actually. There were some interesting people getting married that's for sure.
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Atlanta
Livi and I went to Atlanta last weekend for my brother Nate's wedding. We had such a great time. I rarely get to see Nate so that was lovely and it's always fun to hang out with my parents. Having them on the same flight as us was a LIFE SAVER! Livi was thoroughly entertained by my mom and she loved to sit on Don's lap and open and close the visor on the window. We stayed with Don's sister and that couldn't have been better. They have an awesome new home, Livi and I had our own room and they even had a crib for her! They made us breakfast every morning. My first experience with legit southern grits and eggs. Not too shabby. AND let us borrow their van (with GPS) the whole time we were there. Also, they took us to the airport at 5 in the morning on Sunday. I'm trying to figure out some wonderful gift I can send to thank them.

Initially, we weren't going to go to the courthouse to see them get married. They just wanted to go by themselves and then celebrate with everyone afterwards. Well, they went that morning to get married and found out that Atlanta only marries people once a week on Friday afternoons at a certain time. They put all of the couples in a court room and they all get married at the same time. Luckily, it was a Friday and they hadn't missed it. So they came back home to eat lunch and picked us up and took us back with them. They first had all of the couples go up and sign the marriage license and then the judge came in and called the couples up one by one and said the, "Do you take...." to each one. They would say, "I do." Then go and sit back down and the next couple went. I missed that part because Livi was finding running around the court room to be much more exciting than sitting in the jury box observing, so we stepped outside. It was a really neat experience actually. There were some interesting people getting married that's for sure.
waiting to sign the papers and for the judge

Making it legit!
Dinner afterwards. Poor Livi was exhausted.
Nate was only a block away from a fabulous antique shop. We went there twice. If I had room to carry stuff back I would have bought this sweet mirror. I also saw a legit retro swimsuit that is exactly what I have been looking for. But I didn't get it because I couldn't try it on and you never know if they will fit.
Leah is so beautiful and sweet. She was so good with Livi, even getting her a little toy car.
Awww. I miss him.
There was a vast selection of alcoholic beverages. They were very considerate though and had apple, peach and pear pseudo champagne for us Mormon folk. It was delicious.
Thank goodness for this chair. It kept her entertained for about 30 minutes. Which at 9 o'clock at night is fabulous.
For those of you that know Nate, you know he is genius. For those that don't. He is a genius. All these books are what greet you when you enter his apartment. The sheer number is impressive to me, but what is even more impressive is that many of them are in foreign languages. And I'm not talking Spanish, that would be too easy. He speaks Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic and can read French and German. He actually teaches Arabic at his university. What!? He is getting his PhD right now and we were told by all of his advisers and professors (who came to the celebration) what a rare student he is. He has only had two A- in all his grad school years (that's a really big deal) and that is a lot of years. Anyway, I guess I'm done bragging for a moment. I really am just SO proud of him.
Initially, we weren't going to go to the courthouse to see them get married. They just wanted to go by themselves and then celebrate with everyone afterwards. Well, they went that morning to get married and found out that Atlanta only marries people once a week on Friday afternoons at a certain time. They put all of the couples in a court room and they all get married at the same time. Luckily, it was a Friday and they hadn't missed it. So they came back home to eat lunch and picked us up and took us back with them. They first had all of the couples go up and sign the marriage license and then the judge came in and called the couples up one by one and said the, "Do you take...." to each one. They would say, "I do." Then go and sit back down and the next couple went. I missed that part because Livi was finding running around the court room to be much more exciting than sitting in the jury box observing, so we stepped outside. It was a really neat experience actually. There were some interesting people getting married that's for sure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nate looks so smart, it must be the glasses. I really like him. I can just hear his laugh when I look at the pictures. I wish him the best! And how nice that you got to travel with your Mom and Don. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great trip I'm so glad you were able to go and be with family, and SUPER lucky about the flight with your parents! That's amazing about your brother he really does sound amazingly brilliant! Very cute pictures, Livi get cuter and cuter ever time you post a photo! =)
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen Nate in years (I probably only saw him a couple of times anyway). He sounds very smart. I would LOVE a book collection like that. How nice to be able to travel with your mom. We're flying with all four kids over Thanksgiving. Are we crazy?
ReplyDelete