Friday, July 10, 2009
First Trip To The ER
Oh, what a night. I made my first trip ever to the ER last night. It all started at dinner time. Livi had just finished eating and I undid her straps on her high chair to get her out. I turned around to put my fajita down and just then I see Livi attempting to leap from her seat. I lunged for her but wasn't fast enough. She fell straight down and landed on her forehead, then her whole body flipped over her head and her neck twisted in a very unnatural way. I wasn't sure if I should pick her up, but she was reaching for me so I did anyway. She only cried for about 30 seconds and then she requested some cheese and was back to normal. We all went in the living room to sit down and watch a movie and Livi was just sitting on the floor playing when all of a sudden she spits up, not vomit, just spit up. She never spits up (I can probably count on one hand how many times she has spit up her entire 13 months of life) so I was a little concerned, knowing that one indication of head injury is vomiting. I had read that vomiting is really only serious if it happens two or more times. Maybe an hour later I was holding her and she spit up again, this time with a little more force and more substance, but I still wouldn't call it vomit. Nonetheless, I was still worried about her and decided to call the 24 hour nurses at the Dr. office and see what they thought. The nurse I spoke with said with head injuries she would prefer I talk to the Dr. so a few minutes later Livi's Dr. calls me back and I replayed the incident to him. At this point it has been over 2 hours and Livi is acting completely normal, except for the two spit up incidents. She is getting a little sleepy, but because it's her bedtime. The Dr. told me I needed to take her to the ER. He said if she was prone to spitting up he wouldn't think much of it, but since she so rarely does, it was better to be safe than sorry. He told me to take her to this place a few minutes away because they would be able to get us in and out quickly. I said, "Are you sure she needs to go the ER? She acts fine." To which he replied that with potential head injuries you never know. When we arrived at the ER we were the only ones waiting so we were able to get in and see a Dr within 10 minutes. Which was a very pleasant surprise. The nurse checked all of her vitals, asked for the details of the accident etc, and then the Dr. came in and looked at her. He wanted to avoid a CT scan if possible, so he asked that we give her some crackers and juice and hang out for about an hour to see how she responds. They gave us a bunch of toys and some bubbles and we just sat and played for an hour. When the hour was up Livi seemed perfectly fine so they let us go home. I put her and myself to bed as soon as we got home. Then about 1:30 I hear Livi crying, not her usual cry, but an upset one. So I rush in there and she is all sweaty and her sheets up by her head were wet. I couldn't tell if they were wet from her sweat or if she had thrown up. I brought her into our bed where she layed in between us and fell back asleep. I was trying to go back to sleep but was so worried I couldn't relax. So I got up and called the ER back and spoke with the nurse and told her what happened and she said the most important thing was whether Livi was acting like herself or not, which she was once I got her out of her crib. So that put my mind at ease. I eventually put her back in her own crib (how do people sleep with their kids?!) and she slept till 8:30 this morning. Which is a record for her. I woke up in a panic when I realized how late it was and she was still asleep. I went and checked on her and she was just fine, sound asleep. She as been great all day so I'm hoping everything is ok! I'm thinking about wrapping her in Styrofoam and never letting her out of my sight?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So Scary! I am glad she is okay!
ReplyDeleteIt is always so hard to know what to do. I think even after 4 kids I would still stress about it. I'm glad she was okay!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, that is one of my biggest fears. I'm glad Livi is okay. Love the laughing video. Can't wait to see how Ella and Livi will interact!
ReplyDelete