Michael's high school graduation in 2006. My siblings minus three brothers.
L-R Anaka (technically a step-sister, but we're not keeping track), Maddie, Tommy, Michael, Randi, and me holding my niece Isabella
Earlier, the U.S. State Department had contacted the LDS church asking for their returned missionaries who spoke Creole. Side note: I think it's so amazing that the U.S. Government recognizes our stellar missionary program and how many of our members learn different languages.
Anyway, the church went about tracking down all of these returned missionaries and asking them if they would be willing to go to Haiti for 14 days, all expenses paid, and help out. When they contacted my mom she told the man that Michael was away at school but that she would relay the message and have him call him back. Every time my mom called Michael it went straight to his voicemail. She figured he must have been in church, but he never called and never called. Luckily, my sister Maddie knew the friends he was with and called one of them who passed the phone to Michael. Turns out his phone had died and he didn't have his charger with him. Needless to say, when my mom told him what was going on he flipped. He was beyond excited, as you can imagine. Ever since the earthquake he has been dying to find someway to help out. I don't think there are too many Americans that speak Creole so I was sure there would be something. I had no idea it would be this though, and neither did he.
He immediately called the church office back and told them he was in. (He hasn't talked to his professors yet, but we're all assuming they are going to give him the thumbs up. What kind of person would say no? And even if they won't excuse him, Michael said he is still going.) He was told that a woman from the U.S. Health Department would call him back within one to two days and set up his travel plans and arrange for him to get a passport. How amazing is that?! I'm so happy for him and so jealous. The more I watch the coverage the more I wish I could be there helping. Since I can't, I'm so grateful that Michael is going to go over. If I were in a disaster I would want Michael there to help me. He is just a good person to the core. I can't even imagine the things he is going to see and what he will be able to do, but I know this will be a life changing experience for him.
That's awesome! There is a man in our ward who just got asked to go also. He is leaving 5 kids and a wife and home and will be there as long as needed. Our church is amazing!!
ReplyDeleteThat is really neat. What a great thing to be able to go and help out. What a blessing the gospel is...
ReplyDeleteThat is amazing. I will be praying for him.
ReplyDeleteWow! Good for Michael.... his help will be so appreciated by the Hatian people.
ReplyDeleteBy the way - I have to tell you that I absolutely love reading your posts. You are an awesome writer! You should consider writing a book! :)