Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day



Phil and I had a very great, interesting and exhausting Father's Day. Saturday night someone from the church called Phil and asked him if he and I would drive a deaf woman to her branch on Sunday. There is a deaf branch about 30 minutes away and all the wards in our stake take turns driving various members to their church. I'm not sure if it's because deaf people can't get driver's licences (?) or because they don't have cars. Regardless, they need rides and we were asked to take them yesterday. Our church normally starts at 8:30 and we are out at 11:30. The deaf branch didn't start until 12:30 and doesn't get out until 3:30, so that was an adjustment. The day began with me waking up early before Phil and Livi in order to make Phil his requested breakfast burritos. Livi woke up, and then a little while later Phil woke up and we all had breakfast. (Livi loves sausage) The rest of the morning was spent trying to figure out how many people we were supposed to be picking up. The initial email said two women and some daughters. Then we talked to someone who said that one woman is out of town, and the other woman has two daughters but the oldest doesn't go so we would only need two seats. Which incidentally, is how many available seats we have. Another email said there was a woman and three daughters. We decided that we would just show up and if there were more than two people we would just apologize for not having room. But there wasn't much else we could do, we only have a 5 seater. So we show up a little after noon and out comes a woman and her two daughters. The oldest had decided to come to church that day. Luckily, the daughters knew sign language and interpreted for us. We told them we only had two seats, but that if the daughters wanted to sit together we wouldn't mind. They declined and the oldest daughter ended up staying home. Which I felt horrible about all day. We get to the church and go into Sunday school. I have never been to a quieter meeting in my life. The best part? Livi was being her normal loud self, and it didn't' disturb anybody. All of the lessons, talks, songs and prayers were in sign language. There was a woman interpreting so we did know what was going on. Relief Society was insane. The lesson was in English with a woman translating into sign language at the front of the class, and then behind me there was someone translating into Spanish for the Hispanic sisters. Sacrament meeting ended 15 minutes early because a speaker didn't show up. All in all it was a very eye opening and humbling experience. I had forgotten what a different experience branch life is from a ward. We met some really great people and everyone was as nice as can be.
We got home around 4 and I made Phil his requested fajitas. We had dinner and then we just relaxed for the rest of the night. We ended up going to bed about 8:50. That's right, we're lame. Keep in mind Saturday night was spent cleaning the church until 9pm and then watching a movie until almost midnight. Saturday morning Phil had gone and played soccer with Hispanic youth at an orphanage. Needless to say, although it was Phil's weekend to be pampered and mushed on, he didn't get a lot of down time. I'm grateful that he is such a good man and so willing to put others needs above his own.
I love all my Dad's so much, each one of them has taught me invaluable lessons. I'm especially grateful for my baby's daddy. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I can't even imagine how nice that would be not to fight my kids all sacrament to be quiet!!! You are such a good wife and mom to get up that early to make breakfast. Sunday mornings are so hard to get to church in time. I think I would be late most of the time if ours started that early.

    ReplyDelete