The other day after I had given Livi her lunch, a well balanced meal of tilapia, sweet potatoes and broccoli, I started to think about what I was going to eat. I pulled out a hot dog and was about to cook it, when it suddenly occurred to me: I would never dream of feeding Phil and Livi some of the things that I eat. I always make sure that they have some type of lean protein with at least one vegetable, that they eat their fruit, that they only eat whole grains, we eat vegetarian meals at least twice a week, and we rarely eat out. But when it comes to what I ingest, whatever is easiest is king. Why is that? I know how important it is to eat healthy. I know the benefits of a well balanced diet and I know the potentially negative side effects of a poor diet. But I still don't take care of myself nearly as well as Livi and Phil. Fortunately, dinner is easy, I eat what I have prepared for them. But breakfast and lunch are a different story. I LOVE breakfast, it is usually what inspires me to get out of bed in the morning (besides Livi speaking gibberish in the next room). But my ideal breakfast consists of cereal, or pancakes or waffles or muffins. The sugary stuff. You put any baked product in front of me and it will be gone. However, I don't want Livi starting her day with spiked blood sugar, so while I am eating my Lucky Charms she gets oatmeal (not the packaged kind) and raisins, or a scrambled egg or whole wheat french toast with unsweetened applesauce instead of syrup etc. You get the idea. She eats well and I....don't. Don't get me wrong, both Phil and Livi get their share of things that aren't so good for them, but I'm trying. I am pretty sure that this is fairly common among mothers of small children. After preparing three meals a day, cooking for yourself is the last thing on your list. So after taking the hot dog out of the fridge, I put it back, made myself some tilapia and potatoes and vowed to treat my body as well as I treat my family's.
Monday, June 29, 2009
What To Eat?
The other day after I had given Livi her lunch, a well balanced meal of tilapia, sweet potatoes and broccoli, I started to think about what I was going to eat. I pulled out a hot dog and was about to cook it, when it suddenly occurred to me: I would never dream of feeding Phil and Livi some of the things that I eat. I always make sure that they have some type of lean protein with at least one vegetable, that they eat their fruit, that they only eat whole grains, we eat vegetarian meals at least twice a week, and we rarely eat out. But when it comes to what I ingest, whatever is easiest is king. Why is that? I know how important it is to eat healthy. I know the benefits of a well balanced diet and I know the potentially negative side effects of a poor diet. But I still don't take care of myself nearly as well as Livi and Phil. Fortunately, dinner is easy, I eat what I have prepared for them. But breakfast and lunch are a different story. I LOVE breakfast, it is usually what inspires me to get out of bed in the morning (besides Livi speaking gibberish in the next room). But my ideal breakfast consists of cereal, or pancakes or waffles or muffins. The sugary stuff. You put any baked product in front of me and it will be gone. However, I don't want Livi starting her day with spiked blood sugar, so while I am eating my Lucky Charms she gets oatmeal (not the packaged kind) and raisins, or a scrambled egg or whole wheat french toast with unsweetened applesauce instead of syrup etc. You get the idea. She eats well and I....don't. Don't get me wrong, both Phil and Livi get their share of things that aren't so good for them, but I'm trying. I am pretty sure that this is fairly common among mothers of small children. After preparing three meals a day, cooking for yourself is the last thing on your list. So after taking the hot dog out of the fridge, I put it back, made myself some tilapia and potatoes and vowed to treat my body as well as I treat my family's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tessa, you're so funny. It's clearly because self-consciously you know that your metabolism rocks and that it will continue to give you a bangin body whether you eat cinnamon rolls or carrots! You're so good to feed your fam so well. My problem is I eat like you and therefore so does the little baby inside of me.....for now. Looks like I'm already creating another golosa in the family!
ReplyDeleteI just get my hands on whatever I can! Sometimes it's a handful of crackers or a yogurt. My most healthy meal of the day is the dinner I prepare for Brad. So we're pretty much on the same page. I'm liking the idea of a vegetarian meal twice a week. I think I'll challenge myself to that. What kind of meals do you prepare those days?
ReplyDelete