
I love history. I'm not sure when this love developed. I believe it was on my mission. I really became fascinated with the history of Spain, especially the Canary Islands. I vowed that when I got home I was going to read every book about the Canary Islands that I could get my hands on. That didn't happen. But a spark was lit inside of me that just won't seem to go away, nor do I want it to. I went to the library the other day to find a good book that would placate this need. I didn't go with any particular one in mind. I was standing in the Historical Non Fiction section at the library scanning the plethora of books, when I came across two that caught my attention. The first was for me, entitled "The Wolf by the Ears: Thomas Jefferson and Slavery." And the second was for my sweet husband: "Ben Franklin America's Original Entrepreneur Franklin's Autobiography for Modern Times" While Phil is not the history lover that I am, he is a lover of business and an admirer of successful men (and women). I figured he would at least like to glance at it's pages, and if he didn't like it, I was also interested in it. Much to my delight, he has not been able to put it down. The other night we were laying in bed reading, I my book on Thomas Jefferson, and he his on Ben Franklin (can you say heaven?). Phil kept telling me about all of the amazing personality traits that Mr. Franklin possessed and what a driven and determined person he was. And the more he told me about him, the more I realized that Phil has got to be a descendant of this remarkable man. I turned to Phil and said, "You and Ben are a lot alike." He was pleased as punch to hear that I thought so. But it's true. Phil possesses SO many of the qualities that Mr. Franklin possessed that it's almost uncanny. Benjamin Franklin was so intent on becoming a better person, mediocrity was just not acceptable. He was tireless in his efforts to better himself. And when he became successful, he still practiced an extremely frugal lifestyle. I have never met anyone as driven as Phil. Ever. And I'm not just saying that because he is my husband and I love him. I know so many people who are content to just coast through life, they do what needs to be done to get by. Phil, on the other hand, is constantly setting goals, always thinking of what he can do to increase his knowledge, hone in on the skills he already possesses or develop new ones. He is constantly striving to become a better husband and father, even going so far as to read books such as "Men Are From Mars Women Are From Venus" (One I highly recommend). I will admit that many times I have become frustrated with this constant need for improvement. He has asked me several times, "Is that going to make you a better person?" To which I reply, "I just want to watch a movie!" But I love that about him. He has truly made me a better person in the nearly four years that I have known him. And isn't that what marriage is about? I love him more now than I ever thought possible. And it just keeps getting better.
I wasn't planning on getting all mushy today, but with Father's Day around the corner I have just been thinking about how lucky I am, and how much I love Phil and I guess it just came out. I knew I was supposed to marry Phil. There wasn't a doubt in my mind. But now I know why.
I am so glad that you are happy. Remember that he is pretty lucky himself to have you too.
ReplyDelete